‘o you have torn all my life to pieces’

I’m in the process of reading "Tess of the d’Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy. Got this book at Gramedia and the only copy left. Even though the book condition couldn't be called brand new, but I've been searching this book since a long time ago. Sadly this is taking me longer than normal. When I’m sick (even if it’s just a small cold) I don’t concentrate as well so reading becomes a chore sometimes. Especially when reading a book that isn’t just plain “eye candy”. This isn’t a simple book to read. It takes thought (like most classics). I can see why Thomas Hardy wasn’t received well by the critics of his day. Victorian era England was rather stodgy. Anyway, I rarely love classic romances like this (though this isn’t strictly a romance… it’s more of life of the everyday person - every day people do have love lives too!). PLUS- I don’t have to worry about running into the smuttiness that is in a lot of modern “romance” books (I just call them smut books). Aand I want this edition.
I love how Thomas Hardy describes Tess’s face from Angel Clare’s point of view. The reader can fully tell how much he, Angel, cares for her. Makes me want to sigh deeply *sigh*

(from Phase the Second: Maiden No More chapter 24):

How very lovable her face was to him. Yet there was nothing ethereal about it: all was real vitality, real warmth, real incarnation. And it was in her mouth that this culminated. Eyes almost as deep and speaking he had seen before, and cheeks perhaps as fair; brows as arched, a chin and throat almost as shapely; her mouth he had seen nothing to equal on the face of the earth. To a young man with the least fire in him that little upward lift in the middle of her red top lip was distracting, infatuating, maddening.


And all this while this young man was milking a cow and watching her milk another cow… Who knew a dairy farm could be so romantic? *roll eyes* :)


While she carries the burdens of the devil raping her and the angel leaving her. .

He still continues to go on his journey. Continuing on to his dreams.

0 comments: